Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Week One up to Wednesday

So, we went over the wonderful experience of zero week. Lots of fun all over the place. Screaming, yelling, shoving, pushing, "tray-to-tray" in the dining facility, the works. Now we get into week one when things start to actually happen.

At this point, we have learned how to set up a locker and everything inside it. Shirts aligned perfectly, soap and shampoo put in the correct position AND clean appearing, face is always shaved, and whatnot. We got our lockers inspected by the section supervisor of our flight (he's a big dude up in the ranks) and he was impressed with our lockers. That made our day.

We then marched over to the processing center to get our pictures taken for our military ID's (also known as CAC (Common Access Cards) Cards). It's like saying ATM machine. Same thing with CAC card. This is what we have evolved into. Redundancies in acronyms. Now, the picture I took for my CAC card... wow. I look like a cancer patient who is way too happy to be taking a picture at the moment. Or slightly scared looking. Maybe a mix of both. Anyways, it's a terrible picture and I wish death upon it. The card doesn't expire for 2 or so years, so I'm stuck with it. And yes, you all will probably take a look at it when I come to visit. And you will laugh. I promise.

We were then issued our M16 Trainer Weapons (also known as "smurfs" because they're blue-coated to indicate that they're only trainer weapons), and it was really hard to look awesome with a blue M16. But yes. I got my M16 and I was happy.

In the bathrooms (also known as Latrines in BMT) we have to leave the toilet seat up. YES! Finally, a place where it's legal to leave the toilet seat up. Take that, females! And yes, females have to leave the toilet seat up in BMT, as well. Score!!! So anyways, we left the toilet seat DOWN on accident. Our TI told all of us (48 men) to get into the latrine. Once we were in there, he told us to pack ourselves all into the stalls and close the doors behind us. 6 stalls. 48 men. Holy crap. I didn't think it was possible, but it was. Once we were in the stalls, he told us to chant as we put down the seat and lifted it back up "Thanks for lifting me up sir, I'll never let you down sir." We chanted (more like screamed) that for 15 minutes before the TI came in and told us to shut the *beep* up. Don't leave the toilet seats down in BMT people.

We started PT (Physical Training) this week. Luckily PT is weak for weeks 1-2. 15 sit-ups and 15 push-ups. Seriously? This was a warm-up. The only thing that wasn't weak was the 30 minutes of running. Every other day we ran 30 minutes as a squadron. And it was painfully slow running. I could have used less energy to run a little faster than how slow the squadron was running. After 15 minutes of the squadron run, we did our self paced running. This is when the TI's start running next to you, screaming their heads off at you to run faster. "FASTER, FASTER! YOU WUSS, YOU CAN RUN FASTER! MY GRANDMA CAN RUN FASTER THAN YOU, AND SHE'S DEAD!" ... yeah I picked up the pace when I heard that insult, lol.

I started feeling weak after the first couple PT days. I started feeling dizzy and lightheaded. Not good. So I requested that I go to the doctor. I was given permission, and I went to the doctor. I got there, and asked me what my issue was. I told them I had a cold. I was shortly seen by a doctor, and I told him I felt like crap. Then I showed him the blister I had been acquiring over the course of BMT. I was not used to wearing combat boots, and neither was my feet. So I got a massive blister. Oh, background story -- my left foot is naturally swollen since I was 13 or so years old. So when the doctor saw the blister AND the swollen foot, he assumed I had cellulitis (spelling)... so he then gave me a bed rest waiver along with medication, and the waiver said something about being reassigned to the 319th Training Squadron.

I went back to my TI, gave her the waiver, and she briefly told me to pack my bags and get ready to go. I was confused. I started packing, got all my bags packed, got my M16 trainer weapon returned, crossed the street, and I was reassigned to the 319th Training Squadron. This is where a whole new story starts. It is currently Wednesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment