Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Week 8

Ok. Finally. The last week. It's been 6 months since I've started basic, and I'm finally getting around to the last post. Well, here we go.

We were getting major senioritis by the time week 8 came around. We were still on our A-Game, but things just didn't seem to move as quickly anymore. We were all done with the testing, all done with the final work, everything was done except graduation on Thursday.

The first part of Week 8 moved by so extremely slowly. Like. Sunday to Wednesday felt like week 1 to week 3. It was bad. We were all eagerly waiting for our family and friends to come on Thursday morning when we had the Airman's run. But before all that happened, we had drill like no other.

Starting Sunday, we were lazy and motivated. At the same time. Yes, it is possible. We were doing drill for 4 hours. And we were getting tired, so we naturally started to screw up on random things. We were all told to get on our faces and repeat the following phrase: "Hello week 8! We finally made it. We graduate this week. Yet we still act like dumbasses." It was great. I said that phrase with a freakin' smile. Heck yeah it was weak 8.

Thursday morning comes along. We all get up and have our smiles. Our families were gonna be here today! I never had so much energy. We ran across the bridge, and over the bridge was a sea of people and families cheering us on. I ran like no other. And I saw my family for the first time in 9.5 weeks. It was an amazing feeling that cannot be replaced by anything.

To make the rest of this blog short, we had our coin ceremony later that day in Blues, we became Airmen (yay), spent the rest of the day with family, had an amazing parade the next day, spent time off base with family, spent a majority of Saturday with family, and the last bits of Sunday with family and the church I went to this whole time. I miss that church. Just thought I'd throw that in there.

Everybody else had their orders to go to tech school. Except for me. My flight physical never happened, so I was held back in the 319th as a Holdover Airman for 3 weeks. Luckily it wasn't nearly as bad as being in the 319th as a trainee, but it still sucked. After 3 weeks of getting my eyes poked and prodded, I finally went to tech school.

I spent a month at Lackland Air Force Base doing Aircrew Fundamentals. I then transferred to Randolph AFB to do a month's worth of Basic Sensor Operator Course, got my 3-level (I got my wings), did a month's worth of RPA Fundamentals Course, transferred to Nellis/Creech AFB, and now I'm here in the present.

Yay.

No comments:

Post a Comment