Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Week Three

This is the week where things start to get more exciting. This is also when the TI's start to get tougher on a more physical aspect because we are able to take a harder beating than usual. If that made any sense.

August 2nd. Monday. We started to get interviewed, asking us questions if we ever did pot or other drugs that may have some sort of weird impact on our perceptions. That was no big deal.

I got my military ID on this day! I was so freakin' excited. There was only one problem... I looked like a cancer patient. It's the way they slightly stretch the picture on the front of the ID Card to make it fit the space. It totally turned my face into a fat, bald, confused person. I still own this card. And I will own this card till 2012... I can't wait to get a new picture taken :P.

I'm no longer the only one to have BCG's anymore! The rest of the flight got their BCG's. It was so funny. We had one Asian guy in our flight. When it was his turn to receive his BCG's, the TI laughed before he even gave him the glasses. Our TI said, "You know what this is gonna look like? Well, there was this movie that came out many years ago, and it was a scene on a ship. And this one Asian dude pops his head out of the ship's window, see's land, and yells, 'HORRYWOOD!!!' You remind me of that guy." LOL it was so funny because the glasses were bigger than his head. His nickname from that point on was "Horrywood".

We also learned to do the Flanking movement that day. It's when you're marching, and you pivot 90 degrees left or right and continue to march. We had to march around a square as a flight for 30 minutes, doing constant flanking movement as practice. Needless to say, we got really good at it after 10 minutes. Then it started to get old after 25 minutes. The last 5 minutes was just for spite cuz the TI felt like it.

Next day, August 3rd, we started this 3-day series of SABC (Self-Aid-Buddy-Care). It's basically the entire M.I.T. course squeezed into 3 days.

To start off the day, the instructor told all of us that we were going to all have to put a small hose up each other's nose to help breathing. We all started freaking out. I mean... freaking. Out. We were not ready to start putting long tubes up each other's noses, especially on the first try. The instructor grabbed a trainee, had 4 other trainees pin him to the ground, and the instructor came up and said, "Ready? :D" The trainee was shaking with fear as he was about to have something foreign stuck all the way up his nose. The instructor got within 1 inch of his nose and said, "You know what? We have dummies we can work on instead." The trainee nearly passed out.

During that SABC madness, we also learned how to bandage head wounds, tourniquets, bleeding things, and broken bones. Woot.

We also increased our PT repetitions this week by 5 because we were also starting to get used to the weak 15 reps of everything. So we went into 20 for weeks 3 and 4. I have to admit, running started getting easier. I was able to keep my pace going for a lot longer, and I still had enough energy to sprint 5 times for 30 seconds each after 25 minutes of constant running. Woot!

August 4th. This was not a happy morning for me. I was doing dorm guard from 2:30 - 4:30AM. I was dead tired. This is the week where we started getting night raids. What this means is TI's come into the dorms early in the morning while everybody is still asleep and the TI starts to inspect our night displays and lockers as he feels necessary.

While I was on dorm guard, I heard the door knock at around 4:20AM. I went up to the door. I opened the window shutter. It was a TI. Crap. What do I do? Oh yeah, here we go...

"Sir, may I help you?"

He slapped his dormitory access badge on the window. Crap, I have never verified one of these badges before. But I had instructions on the wall next to me. Here we go...

"One dormitory access badge, 737 Training Group, Access Number 17... verifying..."

I pointed to the wall to make sure this badge was good for entry....... "Verified"

I froze for a second. The badge was verified. Now what? ... oh yes, I open the door for him. This process seemed really quick though. I opened the door anyways. I let the TI in.

The TI looked at me, I stood at attention. He said, "Where's your special instructions?"

When clearing anybody for access in a dorm, you have to proceed with special instructions. This means checking for officers in the room, and check for members of the opposite gender. I forgot to do these special instructions out loud while I was clearing the TI for access.

I got in a little trouble for that. No screaming or anything, it was late. This TI had a little dignity. He did his inspection, and 10 minutes later he left the dorm. Whew.

Later that morning, I had dorm guard... again. I was on my own though, because we do dorm guard with one other person at night, and by ourselves during the day. I was covering for the current dorm guard who went down for breakfast. Another TI came up to the dorm. He was not my TI, but I went with the standard procedures. When held up his ID card, I called him a "Tech" Sergeant. He had a little freak out on the other side of the window when I said that. NEVER shorten a sergeant's name while in BMT.

He was let inside the dorm from one of my TI's, and he nearly took away my birthday. He got about half a millimeter from my face and SCREAMED his head off about shortening his name from "Technical" to "Tech". Yeah. I got spit in my face and everything. It was awesome.

Later that same day (this is a bad day) we had to get on our faces for not doing flanking movements while marching. We were practicing marching outside on the drill pad or something, and we didn't flank when we needed to and we had to do a series of random PT for 5 minutes as punishment. It was one of those days.

Later in the day, however, the TI was having a meeting with us in the Day Room and she said that she was rather impressed with us overall... except for the flanking. But that made us feel a lot better.

I also dry-cleaned my hat. I have no idea why this was important enough to put into my journal. But there you have it.

Thursday. August 5th. This was probably the worst morning EVER. I mean... the WORST morning. We had the same TI come in that morning that I called Tech Sergeant. He made us do dress drills. This is the worst kind of drills you can do in BMT. Here's what it consisted of...

The TI told us to strip all the way down to nothing. We were all in nothing but towels. We all had to gather in the latrine. The TI then said, "You have 3 minutes to get completely dressed in your ABU's, standing at attention in front of your locker when finished. Ready. Go."

We all RAN to our lockers. Threw off the towels. Underpants, shirt, pants, belt, tighten belt, throw on ABU top, button all the way down, put on boots, tighten and tie boots...

"TIMES UP!!! Take EVERYTHING OFF and come back to the latrine!!!"

Crap. Not exactly what was going through my head, but you get the point. We all had to strip EVERYTHING off that we just put on, and go back to the latrine.

"You have 3 minutes to put everything back on. Ready, go."

We did the same thing. Threw off the towels. Underpants, shirt, pants, belt, tighten belt, throw on ABU top, button all the way down, put on boots, tighten and tie boots, blousing straps...

"TIMES UP, get to your lockers!!!"

We all got to our lockers.

"If you're done getting dressed, stand in the middle isle and let me inspect you."

Those who were finished getting dressed stood in the middle isle of the dorm.

"Those of you who are finished, get on your face and start pushing while the rest of you finish getting dressed."

All of those who finished getting dressed started doing push ups, flutter kicks, and squat thrusts. I only had a tiny thing to adjust, then I was with the rest of the flight doing PT. Everybody else was still getting dressed. It took about 2 minutes or so before we had everybody finished. That is Dress Drills.

We did more SABC, learning how to do lifts and carries for our injured wingmen. That about sums up SABC.

August 6th, we all woke up at 1:45AM to do KP for a squadron that was about 20 minutes walking distance away. I did KP for most of the day, but I started feeling really lightheaded and dizzy by the end of the shift happened. I was feeling really cold and people who touched my forehead told me I was really really hot. I toughed it out, though. Sorta.

August 7th, I started passing out if I stood in one place for too long. The fever came and went, but it never went away 100%. So I went to the doctor and I was sent to the 319th a second time, for fever flight. I packed up everything and I stayed in the CQ bed till morning.

August 8th (Sunday). I was in fever flight, and all we did was sleep throughout the day, getting over whatever fever we had. That's all I did. Eat and sleep.

I'm going to go briefly into week four, but I got out of Fever Flight (my fever went away) on August 9th and ended up back in the flight I left. :).

That sums up week three!

1 comment: